Pursuing a Sales Career: Embracing Dynamic Opportunities

Options
Felix Reyes
Felix Reyes Member [Pro] Posts: 3

I am interested in pursuing a career in sales because I am drawn to the dynamic nature of sales-focused roles. Over the past ten years, I have been involved in combat sports, held remote customer success and growth marketing positions, traveled extensively, and delved into various disciplines such as martial arts, Buddhism, and related philosophies.

After considering my options, I decided that starting with a role as an SDR/BDR would be a good fit for me. I began exploring sales techniques and resources, which ultimately led me here.

Comments

• Joe Huber
    Joe Huber Member [Pro], Administrator Posts: 253
    Options

Hello and welcome, Felix! We're so excited to have you here! If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. Here's my LinkedIn profile, so please feel free to connect with me there so you can use my network.

Best of luck as you dig into this new journey and please keep us updated!

• Ben Fleishman
    Ben Fleishman Member [Connect] Posts: 33
    Options

Hi Felix! I'm glad you're here, like Joe said. I hope this new adventure gets off to a great start!

• Felix Reyes
    Options

Thank you, Joe and Ben.

• [Former Subscriber]
    Options

Felix - Using a resource like Ascender is a great way to get insight on required skills for the career move you are interested in. Additionally I recommend you reach out to folks that do the job you want and ask them for guidance on how to get started. Perhaps peers on this forum will offer to connect.

Ultimately though I suggest you apply for this role and start interviewing. Be extremely curious about the role, what a day in the life looks like and each company's onboarding. Most good orgs will train you on what you need to know to be a BDR/SDR for them. Don't let lack of experience in this role be a mental barrier... you seem to have strong life experience and that's more important for this starting position! As they say, it all starts with the first step, so take it!

• Diana Sheley
    Diana Sheley Member [Plus] Posts: 3
    Options

Hi Felix,
    I agree with everything Tim shared above as you explore this new area for your career. I would add to start mapping out from your experience (CS and marketing and anything else) where that might benefit an organization, and also yourself in this journey so it makes it easier when time to have conversations. This will help both you and them connect the dots during discussions. You can also look for connections through LinkedIn in similar roles and gather their insights to help you with questions or areas to further explore before and during interviews as well as during onboarding. One last thing I would recommend is to decide ahead of time your "must have's" and "nice to have"s as far as job fit so you don't settle and can always refer to what good looks like for you. Best wishes as you explore this new chapter!

• Felix Reyes
    Options

Thank you, Tim and Diana.