What are some things that we should stay away from in our opening statements going forward?

Options
Devon Pratte
Devon Pratte Member [Custom Team] Posts: 7

What’s some of the topics or questions that we should really be looking to avoid in our opening statements?

Comments

• Chris Richardson
    Chris Richardson Member [Custom Team] Posts: 10
    Options

I would say avoid talking about yourself too much, the first few words and actions you do/say will have a huge impact on how the relationship goes.

• Timmy Cotton
    Timmy Cotton Member [Custom Team] Posts: 11
    Options

It's important to avoid being overly aggressive, making it solely about your product, using jargon, or disregarding the client's specific needs.

• Will Kasemeyer
    Will Kasemeyer Member [Custom Team] Posts: 7
    Options

Make sure to avoid insignificant information. Adding unnecessary elements to the conversation will distract the potential buyer and make them lose interest. Starting with a story is a popular strategy but can be a double edged sword if the buyer doesn't see the story as relevant.

• Julie Brence
    Julie Brence Member [Custom Team] Posts: 10
    Options

From previous knowledge, the first 20 seconds of a conversation, especially a sales call is very important. Making sure that you are straight to the point and not distracting and unsure about what you are talking about is crucial. Ensuring that you are also not overly confident or arrogant can make a sales call successful.

• Avery Brockwell
    Avery Brockwell Member [Custom Team] Posts: 11
    Options

It is important to not exaggerate or misstate any facts when giving an opening statement. Opening statements are supposed to be straightforward and direct.

• Emily Erickson
    Emily Erickson Member [Custom Team] Posts: 11
    Options

I believe that you should strive to talk about your product and how it can care for your customer's needs. You should stay away from talking about yourself too much, this often has a tendency of getting the conversation off the topic of the product that you are trying to sell.

• Hunter Edson
    Hunter Edson Member [Custom Team] Posts: 11
    Options

I think it's important to give information about your product and engage with the potential client. but I would avoid talking about yourself too much as that can seem self centered.

• Josh Auger
    Josh Auger Member [Custom Team] Posts: 10
    Options

I think it'd be best to not talk about the product at all for the first few minutes of the conversation. Make the conversation personal (try to build trust this way) by asking them questions about themselves or creating a way to connect through other things in life (like sports, family, food, etc.). If you start talking about the product immediately then you face the risk of losing their attention quickly.