Sequences/Storytelling/Anchoring Value Early via Emotion

Options

I have been working on some new sequences that are a bit different than what I’ve worked on in the past.

Whenever I’ve incorporated storytelling into my sequences in the past, the stories have been true stories based around my proof points and unique value proposition to set myself up to have my value anchored as we begin the sales/negotiation process.

Recently some people I generally receive good advice from have been telling me about how they’ve been using storytelling a little differently in their sequences. The idea is that it’s difficult to know for sure which business issue the customer has, so it may be more effective to hold their attention by defining the problem well in a way that is more tied to positive and negative emotions from status quo outcomes.

This has led me to experimenting a bit in how I use storytelling in my sequences to anchor value in the relationship early. I’m currently writing a fictional sequence that tells the story of how the business unitI am prospecting is negatively affected by the problem in a series of short emails. I am hoping that this delivers the message clearly while also making it clear that this is an issue many in their position see, so not them blaming the prospect for the negative outcome.

I am wondering how others use storytelling in their sequences to anchor value early. Some items that would be nice to hear from others:

A) how long are the sequences you’re creating?

B) what length are you shooting for these sequence emails to be if anything other than 1 smart phone screen?

C) what kind of value are you trying to anchor in if metrics don’t make sense to present yet?

D) what tips and tricks have you found most effective so far?

Comments

• Megs Salazar-Merriman
    Megs Salazar-Merriman Member [Pro], Administrator Posts: 10
    Options

@David Chimenti you might find the Storytelling in the Sales Process course helpful. The How to Craft Compelling Stories lesson provides examples of storytelling being used for different scenarios.

• Peter Hase
    Peter Hase Member [Plus] Posts: 5
    Options

Hi David,
    My experience shows me that the story needs a good deal of Metrics woven into it. A story without Metrics loses context and by involving data or the "before and after", the story becomes more meaningful.

A story from a similar industry or when solving a relevant pain is also going the resonate, thus makes it easier to be re-told by your Champion(s).

The story should attach to a big problem at the customer and make your solution associated with having fixed that problem - not focused on technology alone, but has a strong commercial or Business aspect. Then we create urgency…..

Good luck!

• Will Kasemeyer
    Will Kasemeyer Member [Custom Team] Posts: 7
    Options

Story-telling is a good way to help the potential customer visualize, but it could also be a double-edged sword. Customers could lose interest if the story becomes too long or irrelevant in their eyes. If you are to utilize this strategy, you must ensure the email stays relevant, simple, is hyper-personalized, and sets the right tone for the product you are trying to sell.

• Gavin Weitendorf
    Gavin Weitendorf Member [Custom Team] Posts: 10
    Options

Storytelling could be a great way to connect with your customers. It could provide comfort for your customers to know that you understand them and what they want. This is only the case when you can keep your customers attention and not lose them during your story.