How do you prepare for a sales conversation?

Options
David Chimenti
David Chimenti Member [Pro] Posts: 42
edited September 2023 in Peer Assist

I am a bit of a creature of habit and I have my own way of organizing before a sales conversation.

Everything is loaded in the CRM a certain way, I have a good idea how much time to spend on what, etc.

I’m wondering what others do to prepare for a sales conversation. I know a lot of the stuff I do I was taught so I’m interested to see what others have been shown

Comments

• Devon Pratte
    Devon Pratte Member [Custom Team] Posts: 7
    Options

Something i think most people look over is dressing the part. If you look good you feel good. If you feel good you play good. If you play good you get PAID good.

• David Chimenti
    Options

Couldn't agree more with that!

A lot of the first meetings I’ve had recently have been really casual but I’m not going to let it stop me from presenting myself the way I want to.

• Katelyn Pierson
    Katelyn Pierson Member [Custom Team] Posts: 5
    Options

I completely agree, looking well dressed will make you feel good. As well as not stressing the conversation, and just being yourself, and sticking to what you know best.

• David Chimenti
    Options

I'm in a new role, so I'm still learning the ropes of how to prepare for calls for this specific situation, but my goal is that I end up with a CRM so organized that I can spend 15 minutes with the information and have an incredible read-in into what we've already covered, or if I end up in a hurry I can spend 5 minutes and have the notes pulled up on my second monitor during the conversation for any needed refreshers.

One thing that I've had to overcome as a salesperson is how bad I am with names. For some reason I never remember any of them unless I write them down. Can tell you the rest of the context of the conversation, but not the names, so I have to have my notes listed out in a way that the relevant items to each individual are listed with their names, roles, etc.

• Ben Fleishman
    Ben Fleishman Member [Connect] Posts: 21
    Options

@David Chimenti Great question! I know you probably already do a lot of this, but here's what I focus on.

These are the three main things. Research the prospect, tailor our value proposition, and work on the pitch. Each has steps I take, which I'll outline below.

I do most of this well before the actual call and then review the notes a little before. I also sometimes come to Ascender to check for articles or community posts.

Research the Prospect and Their Business
    Company Background: Understand the prospect's company inside and out. Research its history, mission, values, and recent news or developments. Familiarize yourself with their products, services, and target market.
    Key Decision-Makers: Identify the key decision-makers and stakeholders within the organization. Learn about their roles, responsibilities, and pain points.
    Industry Insights: Stay updated on industry trends, challenges, and opportunities. This knowledge will help you position your tech solution effectively and demonstrate your expertise.
    Competitor Analysis: Know who your competitors are and what sets your tech solution apart. Be prepared to highlight your unique value proposition.

Tailor Your Value Proposition
    Customize Solutions: 
    Based on your research, tailor your tech solution to address the specific needs and pain points of the prospect. Show how your solution can solve their challenges and provide tangible benefits.
    ROI Analysis: Prepare a clear and compelling Return on Investment (ROI) analysis. Demonstrate how your product or service will generate cost savings, increase efficiency, or boost revenue for the prospect's business.
    Use Case Scenarios: Develop relevant use case scenarios that illustrate how your solution has benefited similar companies in their industry. Real-world examples can help build trust and credibility.

Plan Your Sales Pitch and Questions
    Craft a Compelling Pitch: Develop a structured and persuasive sales pitch. Clearly articulate the value of your tech solution and how it aligns with the prospect's goals and challenges. Be concise and engaging.
    Ask Open-Ended Questions: Prepare a list of open-ended questions to uncover the prospect's pain points, priorities, and objectives. Listen actively to their responses and adapt your pitch accordingly.
    Objection Handling: Anticipate potential objections and prepare responses that address these concerns effectively. Demonstrating empathy and offering solutions to objections can build trust.

Some other stuff that I do to stay sharp
    Practice and Role-Play: Practice your sales pitch and objection handling with a colleague or manager to refine your approach.
    Technical Proficiency: Ensure you have a deep understanding of your tech solution's technical aspects. Be ready to answer technical questions, even though we're trying to stay focused on business outcomes. I even attend or watch our roadmap presentations from the product team.

Effective preparation is key to building rapport, instilling confidence, and ultimately closing the deal for me. Doing all of this makes things a lot easier for me and my team.

• David Chimenti
    Options

I structure it a little differently but yes that is the same idea right there. Very thorough Ben.

I’ve never understood people that get all the research tools and a CRM at their disposal and don’t leverage it.

One thing that I’m big on is getting their personal Twitter too. It’s historically been the best way to get authentic reactions from someone (at least it was until 2020) and you can see what their real interests are. Connecting as people beyond the product has always been both fun and useful for me in navigating the sphere of influence and closing deals.

• Emily Erickson
    Emily Erickson Member [Custom Team] Posts: 11
    Options

I believe knowing the facts about what you are selling is one of the biggest and best ways to prepare for conversation. In addition to this, I also believe in being both true and real with your customer is a great way to ease nerves for both you the seller, and the buyer.

• Jorge Zepeda
    Jorge Zepeda Member [Custom Team] Posts: 11
    Options

being well dress improves your confidence I feel and that will just help you to be yourself and not get stuck through the negotiation

• Chris Richardson
    Chris Richardson Member [Custom Team] Posts: 10
    Options

I would say to find common ground amongst the client. Something that you could bond with them over.

• Landon Ellis
    Landon Ellis Member [Custom Team] Posts: 10
    Options

The best thing I do to prepare for a meeting is plan what things I will touch on beforehand and try not to drive the conversation. Active listening is an essential skill for sales that is often overlooked. So, setting up what things I will say allows me to better listen to the client.

• Gavin Weitendorf
    Gavin Weitendorf Member [Custom Team] Posts: 10
    Options

The best thing you can do is run over everything you know will be in the meeting and ensure you understand everything that will be addressed. If you have a speech make sure it is perfect, if you have a PowerPoint make sure it is done correctly.

• Devin Teal
    Devin Teal Member [Custom Team] Posts: 9
    Options

There are many things I would do before a sales conversation. First, I would make sure I know all information going to be presented, and I am comfortable with it. Next, I will make sure that I am confident in myself to present the information. By doing these things, you will build trust in yourself and build credibility.

• Tori King
    Tori King Member [Custom Team] Posts: 5
    Options

I would say the best thing to do Is know what you're selling, plan ahead. I would make sure to have all my information so I am comfortable and confident. Another thing I would do is make sure I look presentable, having yourself put together makes me feel more confident.

• Hunter Edson
    Hunter Edson Member [Custom Team] Posts: 11
    Options

I completely agree, being dressed well helps me feel more confident, as well as making sure I'm prepared before hand.

• Timmy Cotton
    Timmy Cotton Member [Custom Team] Posts: 11
    Options

Knowing a lot about the product or service you are pitching or working on acquiring will give you lots of confidence and make you more comfortable rather than showing up with little to no knowledge. Also like lots of the other responses have mentioned, feel comfortable in what you are wearing and obviously make sure it is appropriate for the feel of the meeting. Being comfortable in what you're wearing will also give you tons of confidence which will go a long way.

• Will Kasemeyer
    Will Kasemeyer Member [Custom Team] Posts: 7
    Options

I would say the biggest part about preparation is simply background knowledge. In order to come off as reliable and dependable, you want to be able to answer every question that is thrown at you. Knowing a plethora of information regarding your sales topic is essential in the assistance of a potential buyer. If you are unable to answer their questions, the consumer will be less likely to purchase your product. They start to question your credibility and the product quality. Being an anchor for the buyer to rely on is the most important part of selling.

• Avery Brockwell
    Avery Brockwell Member [Custom Team] Posts: 11
    Options

I would say the most important part of preparing is to be really confident in your product and know what you are selling! Making sure you are a reliable and knowledgeable sales person is key.

• Gavin Weitendorf
    Gavin Weitendorf Member [Custom Team] Posts: 10
    Options

I would go over all of the information that would be presented at the meeting. If I do this, I will be confident at the meeting. I would look over my notes of the customer and see if there is anything I can use to improve our relationship at the beginning of the meeting.

• Josh Auger
    Josh Auger Member [Custom Team] Posts: 10
    Options

Try studying the material and taking breaks every so often. It helps the brain retain information and doesn't grind your energy all the way down. Additionally, it's best to relax and not overthink before sales. Go in open-minded and be confident about the information you've been studying.

• Julie Brence
    Julie Brence Member [Custom Team] Posts: 10
    Options

Reviewing and knowing your product well helps with the background information. Also looking to see how you will approach the conversation, and what your conversation plan is going to be. Being yourself and dressing fit to the part but also comfortable to you is always the best internal approach.